The American National Rugby League has developed a Flag version of Rugby League that is built on a simple premise:
HAVE FUN - GET FIT - PLAY FAIR
EAGLETAG is for everyone. It is a non-contact flag rugby league game for boys and girls of all ages! The rules are simple and contact is replaced by removing a flag on the ball carriers waist. It is an inexpensive and easy way to implement a program that is ideal for schools, youth groups, intramural clubs, and all areas of the community.
Each of the AMNRL Clubs have development programs to encourage young athletes, families, and fans to learn and enjoy the basic skills of rugby league through EAGLETAG.
Seven steps to starting a successful EAGLETAG program:
- Be committed. Every sport started somewhere. It will take some time but we can help. Contact an AMNRL club or email us for the EAGLETAG starter kit.
- Determine a schedule. Summer time is generally a good time of the year. Kids of all ages will enjoy being outdoors. School is done and day light hours are longer
- Find a field or facility. Indoor or outdoor will work. Practice twice a week and play games on Saturday mornings. You won't require a large space.
- Find some players. Besides word of mouth, the best way to get kids and adults interested is to send an application and program description home to each kid through the school system prior to summer break. This can generally be accomplished by engaging local school teachers and coaches. Explain and demonstrate the social/physical benefit from EAGLETAG and the inclusive nature of this sport.
- Get some coaches. Rugby experience is not necessary because EAGLETAG is essentially a simple game of tag where you run with a ball in one direction and pass backwards when your flag is removed. Your coaches will be the usual parents who volunteer to coach any other sport and perhaps a few players from your local club.
- Get organized and put together a game plan. Order flags equipment and other items you will need early. Have a meeting with parents and assistants. Put together your contact lists and communicate.
- HAVE FUN - GET FIT - PLAY FAIR
Contact an AMNRL club near you or to find out more click here
An exciting example of how the AMNRL believe that EAGLETAG is an ideal introduction to the sport of rugby league in America is Dale Harwood, the AMNRL regional representative developing rugby league programs in the North Carolina area. Dale will be using EAGLETAG to introduce the sport to kids of all ages in the coming weeks. He currently serves with the USMC and plans to introduce an EAGLETAG tournament as part of the Marine Corps Ball Fund Raiser with sixteen teams, including on base participants from Camp Lejeune.
Contact Dale to find out more about this tournament at firstname.lastname@example.org