DID YOU KNOW?
Colonial Cup Game Day is only 24 hours away!
To celebrate and get Canadian, Connecticut and American rugby league fans all fired up to welcome international rugby league to the region, we thought we'd pass along some interesting trivia about these two feirce rivals.
Did you know?
- The USA and Canada national rugby league teams have met on seventeen occasions dating back to 1987.
- The first match was won by Canada and they had to wait almost 25 years to record their second win in Toronto in 2011
Games between the two nations have been played in a number of interesting locations:-
- Disney World in Orlando, Florida 1999
- Memorial Field in Baltimore, MD. The former home of the Baltimore Colts 1995
- Oxford, London for the Emerging Nations Rugby League World Cup 2000
- St. Catherines, Kingston, Markham. and Toronto in Canada
- Pittsburgh, Lake Placid, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Baltimore, and Jacksonville in the USA
- Both nations have changed their nickname over time. The USA were originally known as the Patriots and now called the Tomahawks. The Canadian National Team were called the Cougars, for a short time called the Mounties, and now known as the Wolverines
- Justin Bieber has yet to sing 'O Canada' at the Colonial Cup in Canada!
- Canada Rugby League is part of the Rugby League European Federation. Weird? Eh!
- When Rugby League was first played dosmetically in America in the mid 90's. Many players came from Rugby Union and were banned by USA Rugby if they played League. When Rugby Union went professional in the late 90's these rules were relaxed. Now players are free to play both and come and go in the US. In Canada. Today. Players are banned from playing Rugby Union if they play Rugby League in the 'Great White North'. Even weirder?. Eh!
- Vanilla Ice will never sing the Star Spangled Banner at the Colonial Cup in America!
- Since the return of Canada to the International stage in 2010, and the development of the Colonial Cup. The USA and Canada have not played in the same location twice. Talk about pioneers!
- Canada need to win Game Two of the Colonial Cup by more then 4 points to take the Trophy back north
Enjoy the game!
Good luck Canada!