AMNRL SEASON XIV BRING IT ON!
The American National Rugby League is celebrating it's fourteenth season of developing rugby league in the USA in 2011, and we believe it will be our biggest season ever! With the Donnybrook Cup international against Ireland in March getting the year off to an early start in Philadelphia, it is now all systems go as the local club season and expansion areas get ready to present an action packed season of rugby league.
Here are our fourteen reasons to get excited about AMNRL Season XIV (in no particular order):-
1. USA TOMAHAWKS - the Tomahawks will play in the RLWC Qualifiers against Jamaica and South Africa in Philadelphia in October. They will be trying to make history and qualify for a spot in their first ever Rugby League World Cup in 2013. Win and they're in!
2. BUCKS COUNTY SHARKS - it's great to see the return of the Sharks to the AMNRL club competition. A foundation club formed way back in 1998.
3. WAR AT THE SHORE XIV - always a feature date on the AMNRL calendar. A rugby league festival on the New Jersey shore in Sea Isle City. A full day of rugby league fun for the family that starts early and finishes late.
4. NEW YORK KNIGHTS ANNIVERSARY - the Knights will celebrate their 10th year of rugby league in the Big Apple. A champion club that has won two national titles and aiming for number three in 2011.
5. NORTH AMERICAN CHALLENGE - the Tomahawks will take on the Canadian Wolverines in two test matches in August in the USA and Canada in September. The cross border challenge will be an exciting lead in to the RLWCQ and a stern test for the Tomahawks as the Wolverines proved last year they are a proud and tough unit to overcome.
6. DELAWARE VIPERS - the Vipers represent another returning club to the AMNRL competition. Formerly the Media Mantarays, they will be an exciting inclusion and a tough opponent as they have been recruiting some big names to launch their 2011 assault. They will be prepared by seasoned USA Tomahawks star players Jeff Preston and Fred Gruhler.
7. HAWAII - the excitement coming out of the pacific is justified. The region is a hotbed for top level athletes who are made to play the game of rugby league. The rapid progress developing in Hawaii will increase the profile of the sport of rugby league in the western USA and take the game to a new level.
8. EAST v WEST CHALLENGE - the hype around the battle of the best club from the East against the best club from the West speaks for itself. Boom!
9. CHICAGO STOCKYARDERS - great city, great area for the continued development of rugby league in the midwest. The Stockyarders have made great strides in a short space of time and 2011 will see local matches against a Detroit squad, another visit to War at the Shore, and hosting AMNRL clubs for games in Chicago. Move over Bulls, Bears, Cubs, and Whitesox!
10. EXPANSION - For a number of years the AMNRL has been working carefully with interested groups throughout the USA to promote the sport of rugby league. Organic growth with a simple philosophy dictated by geography and economics. Last year the AMNRL circulated an expansion document and database of all the regions to support this effort. Every emerging region you currently see with a plan to develop rugby league in the USA were a part of this process. Stay tuned for some exciting announcements in the next few weeks!
11. EAGLETAG - Flag rugby league for kids of all ages. Have Fun - Get Fit - Play Fair!
12. RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS - the AMNRL will host the 2011 RLWCQ Atlantic Region Bracket in Philadelphia. It's on!
13. BULLS, WILDCATS, RAIDERS - will the Bulls and Wildcats return to championship glory once more? Can the Raiders break through to a playoff series as everyones favorite underdog?
14. AMNRL ALL TIME TEAM - this season amnrl.com will be running a fan poll to select the best of the best. Who makes the cut? Who misses out? Rock the vote!
Enjoy the exciting season ahead! We will keep you updated with all the news and information from each of our clubs, expansion areas, and the USA Tomahawks. Pass the word!